Tuesday 12 August 2008

Shave it off

Short hair seems to be the in-thing at the moment, and I have been tempted to cut my hair several times over the past 4 years, but I decided against it after thinking about it for a while for a number of reasons. It has taken years for me to get my hair below my shoulders, and now that it's finally there I definately wont be chopping it off.

I used to have really long hair when I was 9, then my mum allowed the "hairdresser" (I use that word loosely, bitch didn't know how to hairdress shit) to relax my hair, and that was the start of my hair length woe's. So after years of relaxing, going natural, texturizing and going natural again I decided to lay off the chemicals and just straighten my afro whenever I wanted it straight.

Sorry, I digress.

The 'The Pob'/'The Rihanna'/'The Charlize Thereon-Aeon Flux' arrived last year (or was it the year before?) and I again contemplated cutting my hair, but before I knew it EVERY girl and their mama was rocking the 'do... I had a lucky escape.

Now there's a 80's Hip Hop/Punk/90's Grunge hair revival that I've noticed creeping its way onto the scene and I like it. It's the shaving off of one side that model Alice Dellal, singer J*Davey(though I think she's got some kinda mohawk going on) and British designer Kesh have been rocking. I would have sworn I saw singer Beth Rowley sporting this look on 'This Morning' last week-but I couldn't find any pictures of it and I'm starting to think that maybe I imagined it.


I'm pretty sure there wont be too many girls running around with this look.



Click to Enlarge

Alice Dellal's reminds me of Cyndi Lauperand my mum used to sport the short version of this with the jehri curls-Salt-n-Pepa style
You've definately gotta have a certain personality or some kinda female-swagger to make it work-which I most certainly do not have(and if I did I still wouldn't shave my hair off... I'm too chicken) and this is why it works so well on Alice, J*Davey and Kesh.

I, on the other hand will work it like this...
like a black Brooke Shields

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

i believe in everything when it comes to hair, i'm a hair slut, i've done every fucking thing. I've cut it off, sewed it on, pinned it up... the list goes on but it doesn't match the rhyming pattern i had going... so anyhooo... great blog!

:D

10 September 2008 at 14:42  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home