Monday 23 March 2009

I've decided

Lately I've had to think about what I want to do with my future in design, and which direction I want to go in. I thought being a pattern cutter would mean that there will always be jobs as I was told by tutors and industry folk that many people have a degree in womenswear and the industry wants more pattern cutters. Well the current economic climate has slapped me in the face with reality, and I now know that pattern cutting jobs a few and far between. This means that when I (and countless others) graduate, there's a possibility that I could spend forever working near the bottom of the fashion food chain as a sales assistant.

Now, I'm way too deep in university debt to accept that the major that I'm a bout to major in don't make no money, and I won't drop out-my parents will look at me funny (Thanks Kanye). So what am I going to do? I'm just going to carry out my dreams. There's so many areas of the fashion industry that I'd like to work in, and knowing now that I have nothing to lose means that I'm not afraid of going for it.

Now apart from wanting to be a black Barbie when I grow up*
one of the things I've wanted to do is design costumes for tours. When I was younger if I really liked a song on the radio-before even seeing the video, I'd draw up what I thought the outfits should look like.

So I was excited to hear that Thierry Mugler is going to design Beyonce's 'I Am... Sasha Fierce' tour outfits. I remember seeing this...

Tierry Mugler's motorcycle corset and thinking how cool it was that the crazy lady was wearing a motorbike (at 4 years old, I didn't know it was Thierry Mugler). I then saw Ms. Fierce rocking it for her Sasha Fierce promo picture along with other Mugler creations,
so you can only imagine how thrilled I was to hear that Mugler is to design costumes for Beyonce's upcoming tour. Now, I've bought my tickets to see Beyonce when she comes to London, and best believe I will have both my cameras on zoom to get some shots.

*I'm not even playing about that one. I want the big hair, the black and pink ride, the dream house, my very own Ken/Steven (I don't discriminate), dope career[s], ridiculous body, and the kids-pshh, I dont believe for one minute that baby Krissy is really her sister, or Shelley for that matter.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home